Stephan Q. Cassaday
President and CEO
Back to Team
- Executive Management
- Financial Advisors
Connect on LinkedIn
Steve Cassaday, CFP®, CFS, has been advising investors professionally since 1977. In 1993, after 16 years holding senior and management positions with several major New York Stock Exchange member firms, Steve abandoned the traditional Wall Street brokerage model and founded Cassaday & Company, Inc., an independent advisory firm. Steve’s vision was based on simple concepts about what clients want:
- Comprehensive, integrated financial advice that is proactive, objective, impartial, unbiased, and continuously applied.
- Advisors who are highly trained, credentialed, and experienced.
- A firm that controls its own destiny by remaining independent from any bank, brokerage firm, or insurance company where conflicts of interest exist.
- Advisors who are fiduciaries.
Cassaday & Company, Inc. has been nationally recognized as a leading firm and has grown from $40 million in assets under management or supervision to $2.4 billion (as of September 2017) with 47 employees, assisting more than 1,800 households throughout the United States.
In 2017, Barron’s Magazine ranked Steve as the #1 Advisor in Virginia for the third time on its list of ‘America’s Top 1,200 Advisors: State by State’, cited him as one of the Top 100 Independent Financial Advisors in the country, and recognized him on its Top 100 Advisors list for all financial advisors in the United States. Steve has appeared on both the Top 1,200 Advisors and Top 100 Independent Advisors lists every year the awards have been offered. Steve was also named by Forbes to its 2016 list of America’s Top Wealth Advisors.
A recognized financial industry thought leader and sought-after speaker, Steve has given over 1,000 dynamic and informative presentations on investments, financial planning, portfolio management, personal development, and productivity, regularly addressing others in the industry and academia as well as speaking before corporate gatherings, associations, community groups, and at public seminars.
Steve has appeared on national TV numerous times including interviews on the CBS Evening News with Dan Rather, It’s Your Business, Nation’s Business Today, Fox News Network’s “Fox on Money,” The Nightly Business Report, and local network affiliates among others. He has also been highlighted in business and finance publications across the country. Steve’s column and opinion pieces appeared in the Washington Business Journal from 1999 – 2003.
Steve is a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®) professional and Certified Funds Specialist (CFS). He has served terms as past President and Chairman of the Financial Planning Association (FPA) of the National Capital Area. In 2003, Steve received the FPA Leadership Award for outstanding service to the profession.
Awards & Recognitions – Advisor
- Barron’s, #1 Financial Advisor in Virginia – Top 1,200 Advisors: State by State (2014, 2016, and 2017) and on the list since inception (2007-2017)
- Barron’s, #1 Independent Advisor in Virginia – Top 100 Independent Financial Advisors in the Nation (2016) and on the list since inception (2007-2016)
- Barron’s, Top 100 Financial Advisors in the Nation (2016-2017)
- Financial Advisor Magazine, Top RIAs in the US (2012-2016)
- Financial Times, Top 300 RIA Firms (2014-2015)
- Forbes, America’s Top Wealth Advisors (2016)
- Northern Virginia Magazine, Top Financial Professionals (2012-2016)
- Registered Rep Magazine, Top 100 Independent Advisors in America (2014-2015)
- Washingtonian, Top Wealth Advisors (2016)
Awards & Recognitions – Company
- Alliance for Workplace Excellence (2012, 2014-2017)
- Helios, Apollo Award for Best Workplace Practices (2013)
- Forbes, Fastest Growing RIAs (2016)
- Inc. Magazine, Top 5000 Fastest Growing Companies (2007-2010, 2014-2016)
- Investment News, Best Practices: Technology (2015)
- Northern Virginia Family Service, CARE Award (2015-2016)
- Pensions and Investments, Best Places to Work in Money Management (2015)
- Virginia Business Magazine, Best Places to Work (2015-2017)
- Washington Business Journal, Best Places to Work (2008, 2010-2013, 2015-2017)
- Washingtonian, Best Places to Work (2009, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2017)
- Member, Board of Directors, the Thomas Jefferson Institute for Public Policy
- Appointed to Vice Rector for the Board of Visitors by Virginia Governor James Gilmore in 2000
- Reappointed by Governor Robert McDonnell in 2010
- Outstanding Alumnus Award from Radford University in 2016
- Endowed a Radford University scholarship fund for students demonstrating financial need
- Past Chairman of the Radford University College of Business and Economics Advisory Council
- “Executive in Residence” at Radford University in March 2015
Steve and his wife, Mary, are major donors to:
- Central Union Mission
- Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund
- PRS/Crisis Link
- Salvation Army
- Save the Children
- Smile Train
- So Others Might Eat (SOME)
- The Lamb Center
- The House DC
- The Washington Jesuit Academy
- Wounded Warriors
- Youth for Tomorrow
Married for over 33 years, Steve and his wife Mary, live in Reston, Virginia. Their three sons, Chad, Kyle and Chris, are all employed at Cassaday & Company, Inc.
*Awards and Recognition disclosures can be found at http://www.cassaday.com/disclosures
Certified Financial Planner Board of Standards Inc. owns the certification marks CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ which it awards to individuals who successfully complete initial and ongoing certification requirements.